The Most Frequently Asked Questions on a Turbo Kit
What is a Turbo Kit?
If you are like many people, you are probably wondering what a turbo kit is and the benefits of having one. At the simplest of terms, this is a kit that allows one to increase the horsepower of their car engines. Its main function, therefore, is to boost the power of a car engine, which it does by sending compressed air into the car engine. They give a car a significant horsepower boost and in the process a pleasing sound.
Most of these kits include a stainless steel header-type manifold, that is well tuned and hand-built, and which comes with large external waste-gates. With the right fuel tuning, you can rest assured that it will produce significant horsepower for your car.
History of Turbo Kits
They date back to 1905 when they were invented by a Swiss engineer, Alfred Buchi. They were first installed in diesel ships during the 19th century before they got introduced in cars a few years later.
The idea behind these engines is to employ fuel and air mixtures drawn in air and make use of fuel to generate more energy to power a car’s engine. In other words, it increases the fuel/air mixture ratio thus allowing an engine to process fuel and air at a much faster rate than before. .
How much horsepower does it add to the engine?
When all things remain constant, the kit increases the horsepower by between 40 and 70 percent on an average engine. However, for the best possible performance, you should ensure you have an engine that is compatible with your turbo kit.
The kit performs well when combined with a cold air intake system. Put another way, you should ensure you have a complete set of turbo kit for the best possible performance of your car.
What Are The Components Of Turbo Kits?
A turbo charger is the first and most important component…
And What is a Turbo Charger?
- This is a component of the kit; a type of a supercharger whose main purpose is to compress oxygen that gets into the engine. As a result, the amount of oxygen increases significantly, thus increasing the power output.
- The turbocharger is often powered by the car’s exhaust gas, which is in huge contrast to a belt-driven supercharger. Put another way, a turbocharger will take a by-product of a car’s engine that would otherwise have gone to waste, and use it to boost the horsepower.
- Another component of the kit is an exhaust manifold, which is simply a system that takes out gas from the car’s engine.
- There are also the blow-off valves and waste gates. The waste gates work by regulating pressure in the exhaust pipe, which leads to the turbo charger and ensures it is not abnormally high. The blow-off valves on the other hand ensures that air in circulation is not overly pressurized when getting back to the engine.
Advantages and Types of Turbo Kits
- Depending on the kit you purchase, you can be able to enhance the power of your car engine by up to 70%. This is particularly useful for those living in hilly areas and people who frequently drive on highways.
- The increased engine power will significantly reduce emissions meaning your car will be up to 20% more fuel efficient. Needless to mention, your car environment will become friendly for long distance driving especially because you will use less amounts of fuel
- Investing in twin turbo chargers means you can significantly reduce the time it takes for the engine to heat up and turbine to function properly. Needless to mention, you will attain turbo speed much faster
- Twin turbo kits on the other hand will utilize waste energy to generate more energy, meaning your car will be environment friendly. It significantly reduces carbon emissions.